Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011

Adventures on Mormon.org

So after My brother and I shared with a Mormon on Campus I've been studying up on the Mormon cult and today I chatted with one on their missionary chat forum. here is the dialog, I must give credit to Always Be Ready and Charlie Campbell for the questions that I asked, I pray some questions arose in this guys mind, but I know it is God who will give the increase.

Welcome to Missionary Chat.
Thank you for your interest in talking to a missionary from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The purpose of Mormon.org chat is to answer basic questions about the church and its beliefs and to provide opportunities to learn more.
before we begin, will you share a little about what brought you to chat with us?
A missionary will be with you shortly.

Me: i have been reading the Book of Mormon, and some other Mormon writings and have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me answer

Please Continue to hold for the next available missionary.
Agent [Jimmy] is ready to assist you.

Jimmy: Hi, how are you?
Me: good and you?
Jimmy: Thanks, I'm doing well. How may I help you?
Me: I've been reading the book of mormon and have some questions that i thought you could help me with
Jimmy: Ok, I hope I'll be able to
Me: why does Alma 7:10 say that Jesus was born in Jerusalem when the Bible says he was born in Bethlehem?
Jimmy: That's a great question. I don't know the exact reason why it was written that he would be born at Jerusalem. I could speculate, but that isn't offical doctrine.
Me: I appreciate your honesty.
Me: another question for you
Jimmy: alright
Me: Why do the bible verses quoted in the Book of Mormon contain the Italicized words from the King James Version that were added into the KJV by the translators in the 16th and 17th centuries? for example in #Nephi 24:10 it says "... that there shall not be room enough to receive it..." this is an exact quote from Malachi 3:10 from the King James Version. Seven of these words were not part of the original text. They were added by the KJV translators for Clarity. How did those words end up in the Book of Mormon that was supposedly written over a thousand years before the King James Version of the Bible?
Me: Correction- 3* Nephi 24:10, not #Nephi 24:10
Jimmy: I really Can't say. I don't know too much about the translation process of either the Bible or the Book of Mormon. However I do believe the principles taught in both and try to live them
Me: I guess I'm just having some difficulties in my viewing of the reliability of the Book of Mormon, you know? I was told to pray in my Heart the message of the book of Mormon, but God reveals to us through Jeremiah that "the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9 So I'm just wondering if there is, like there is for the Bible, any archeological and historical proof from non-Mormon sources that prove that the people and places mentioned are true?
Jimmy: I'm not really aware of any. But then again, I haven't really gone looking for any. I believe the Book of Mormon is from God because I live the principles taught in it and they lead me to God. The same thing goes for the Bible.
Me: what about Salvation? I'm told in The Restored Church, pg. 562,563 that "man cannot be redeemed from this spiritual death by an act of Christ alone..." but in the Bible it teaches that "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God: not of works lest any man should boast" Ephesians 2:8-9. "For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16, how can I live by both with such contradictory?
The chat session has ended.

So I struck a chord with that last bit, hopefully it wasn't taken as an attack because i truly meant it in love. My Goal here wasn't to debate him, that's why I moved on after each response until the last one, My goal was to plant some questions in his mind that might bug him to the point of looking for the answers, I can only pray the Lord reveals the Truth to him. hope this can be of some encouragement for yall.

No comments:

Post a Comment